Monday, March 3, 2014

Carnitas Sandwich with Jalapeño Pesto and Party Peppers



Happy Birthday little sister!

My younger sister just turned 22.  She's about to graduate from her Master's Program in student development, and she is the kindest, funniest, and most loving woman I know.  Greta is one of the people who helps me love Jesus more by the way that she loves me. She is the reason that I chose Helvetica as the font type, and she is also the social media manager for this blog.

Greta is the best aunt in the whole world!

One thing that I love about Greta is how much she loves to eat.  And like me, she is not afraid to eat more than the average lady.  If you ask Greta what her favorite food is, she usually says meat.  So in honor of her birthday, I present to you Carnitas Sandwich with Jalapeño Pesto and Party Peppers (as well as a Birthday Metaphor).

A Birthday Metaphor to Greta: Like the meat on this sandwich, you are full of substance and flavor.  Like the Jalapeño Pesto, you provide an accent and extra flavor to everything you touch. You are warm and inviting just like toasted bun.  You turn every event into a party, and the peppers turn this sandwich into a party in my mouth.

When Greta visits me in April, I will make her this delicious meal.  Also, we will take a picture wherein we don't look like dorks, and I will post it on this blog.  And then Greta will tweet the picture with hashtags such as #crowdsourcemydinner and #lookingood.

In the vein of crowdsourcing my dinner, this is actually almost an original recipe, but I did get the tip about broiling crockpot meat from Pinch of Yum, and if I ever manage to learn to take beautiful pictures of food, I think it will be because her blog inspires me to do so.


Carnitas Sandwich with Jalapeño Pesto and Party Peppers


Pork:
6-8lbs of Boston Butt (Pork shoulder might work well too)
1/2C Rice Vinegar
1C Distilled White Vinegar
1T Salt
1T Ground Black Pepper
2T Cumin
2T Garlic Powder
1T Chili Powder
3 Bay Leaves
1 Stick of Cinnamon (or 1T Ground Cinnamon)
*Please note that this makes tons of pork, and you only want about 1/4 pound per sandwich.  This is just my normal pulled pork recipe

1. Place all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on high for 8-10 hours.
2. When meat is cooked, place warmed meat on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and broil in the oven for 7-10 minutes (10-15 minutes if you are using oven at 400)


Jalapeño Pesto:
Jalapeños
1/2 Bunch Cilantro
2T Olive Oil
1 Small Red Onion
1t Salt
1t Black Pepper

1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and run it on chop the ingredients form a chunky, herbacious pesto.

Party Peppers:
1.5 Bell Peppers (Use as many colors as possible, after all this is a party)
1/2 Small Yellow Onion
1T Olive Oil

1. Fry onions and peppers together until they look like they will make a party in your mouth

Assembly:
Toast Telera Rolls.  Spread a generous layer of pesto on both sides of the roll.  Layer pork and party peppers to your liking. 

1 comment :