Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tasty Turkey Burgers


The Mad Scientist holds Littlest while he screams.  They're both so cute.

For the past several evenings, Littlest has decided that he should take a break from being an adorable bundle of giggles and sunshine and unicorns and instead scream incessantly.  I'm pretty sure he's teething.  Unfortunately, Tylenol has no effect on his condition, so the Mad Scientist and I have been seriously considering an Amber Teething Necklace.

My nephew wears one, and my sister swears by it, but I think it is safe to say he's a crunchy Colorado baby (and also very adorable).

Check out the beads, and my super-cute nephew.

I am not yet convinced, but a few more evenings of the scream might change my mind.

While the screaming isn't my favorite, I can tell that the crying triggers my sympathy gene, but The Mad Scientist has recently expressed that all this crying makes him turn into the Incredible Hulk (only on the inside)

Despite his feelings, The Mad Scientist has been a champ.  Not only has he restrained himself from smashing all the things, he's been emotionally available, willing to sacrifice his studies to help with Littlest, all while maintaining his natural good looks and stunning physique.  His love inspired me to a bit of kindness, so I made one of his favorite meals, turkey burgers.

These burgers are the serendipitous result of grocery out of stocks.  I purchased ground turkey a few months back when my local Aldi was out of 80/20 Ground Beef.  I purchased it entirely based on hazy recollection of eating ground turkey from a Fritos bag in my middle school cafeteria (I believe these were called walking tacos, although walking while eating was expressly forbidden)

When I got home, I fired up the old search engine to figure out what I could make out of ground turkey.  Ground turkey is enormously unpopular, and the only three categories of meals I could find for it were chili, burgers, and tacos.  Having failed to buy the aforementioned Fritos for walking tacos, I decided to go with the Turkey Burgers.

I originally made this recipe from Allrecipes.com, but I got a bit of negative feedback (including what's the green stuff), so I've done several alterations.  I've only made these in a frying pan with a little oil and I don't think they would hold up to a grill unless you increased the amount of bread crumbs or just used half an egg.




Tasty Turkey Burgers

Ingredients:
1lb Ground Turkey
1 Egg
3 Cloves Garlic Finely Minced 
1/2 Small Yellow Onion Finely Diced
4T Seasoned Bread Crumbs (or 4T plain bread crumbs + 1/2t oregano+1/2t dried basil+ 1/2t garlic powder)
1T Olive Oil

1.  Mix all ingredients except oil thoroughly and form 4 patties
2. Heat Oil in Pan
3. Place patties in the pad for 5-6 minutes (Until you have a nice crisp crust)
4. Flip patties (add cheese to top of burgers if desired) and cook 3-4 more minutes
5. Assemble Burgers

These turkey burgers are definitely moist and delicious, but I like to load my burgers with toppings.  I recommend taking these in a southwestern direction with avocados, jalapeno pesto, party peppers, and grilled onions.  Of course, you can eat them the way you like.

No comments :

Post a Comment